|Image Courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
I wrote an article on ‘first aid for the head injuries’. My backgrounds as medic means I’m conversant with most first aid techniques including the ones for head injuries. I didn’t have to do a lot of research when writing the post. However, my post didn’t make it to the first page when I typed the keyword phrase ‘First Aid For Head Injuries’. I had to type in the exact blog post title (Premium Tips On How To Perform First Aid For Head Injuries) into Google and Bing to see my post on the first page. (see the screenshots).
What is a backlink?You may be wondering what a backlink is and why it is important that you learn effective Backlinks Building Techniques. These are links on other websites that points back to your website. Let’s say you referred readers to another site by way of hyperlink then the hyperlink is what we call a backlink.
Backlinks, also known as incoming links, inbound links, inlinks, and inward links, are incoming links to a website or web page. In basic link terminology, a backlink is any link received by a web node (web page, directory, website, or top level domain) from another web node - Wikipedia
Types of backlinkThere a two types of backlinks i.e. the one that passes link juice and the one that doesn’t not. The two links are a called Dofollow and Nofollow respectively.
Basically, Dofollow links allow the search engine bots to visit the linked site thus passing the link juice and affect the ranking of the linked site. Example:
These are backlinks, on the other hand include an attribute that instructs search engine bots not to visit the linked site. This means only human can visit the link and not the search bot. It also means, Nofollow links don’t pass any link juice and don’t help the linked site in any ranking. Example:
href=”http://www.bing.com/” rel=”nofollow”>BingGoogle Page Rank, Alexa Ranking and Moz Domain Authority Rank all use the number of quality backlinks as a ranking factor. That means, we cannot miss the chance to do backlinking the right way. Let’s now delve into the 10 Backlinks Building Techniques that won’t attract any penalty from major search engines:
1. Web Directory SubmissionSubmitting your site to a web directory is one of the Backlinks Building Techniques that has remained effective in the face of almost constant updates from major search engines such as Google. Well, you must know that the web has thousands of directories but not all are relevant to your site. Again, there are different types of directories meaning you must choose well.
First, there are free directories i.e. you pay nothing to get listed. Then there is the reciprocal linking i.e. you have to place the directory’s links (mostly in form of a widget or banner) on your site to get listed. There are premium web directories i.e. you pay monthly/yearly fee to be listed. Yet still there are hybrid directories where you can be listed freely, choose to add a reciprocal link on your site or simply paying to be listed.
All the above categories can either be niche based or general in their scope. Yes, a directory may only accept submissions in ‘Travel’ which means your site on ‘Blogging’ is not accepted. In some cases, a directory may only be accepting sites from particular regions e.g. California Blog Directory or India Bloggers. It is therefore pointless to add your site to such directories if you are not from the stated regions.
You should read a directory’s rules before adding your site. If you are dealing with a general directory then try and find the most relevant category to add your blog to. Web directories use categories to make them easy to navigate.
Details to add in a directory
A quality web directory has human editors to go through each and every submission before it is approved. So, you must add all the information required and correctly do so. Here is an example of what most directories need:
- Blog Title: Example Blog
- Blog Url: http://www.example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ( always use your domain email to avoid looking spammy)
- Description: Say what your site is all about in as few words as possible. Be natural i.e. don’t copy Meta description of your site.
- Keyword: Blogging, SEO, Blogger, WordPress etc. Just make sure the keywords are relevant to the content of your blog
- Category: Internet, health, travel. Chose the one that captures the contents of your blog
- Submission Type: Choose free, reciprocal or paid listing as you like
2. Adding to Bookmarking Sites
Social bookmarking websites are centralized online services which allow users to store and share Internet bookmarks. In a social bookmarking system, users save links to web pages that they want to remember and/or share. - WikipediaWhy is a Social Bookmarking an effective Backlinks Building Technique? For starters, it saves your links either as Dofollow or Nofollow. Either way there will be a link referring back to your site for search bots and humans.
Some social bookmarking sites allow voting of links and even commenting. The more engagements a site gets on high-quality bookmarking sites like Stumbleupon, Reddit, Digg and Delicious the higher it is ranked by the search engines which can only mean more traffic.
How to Bookmark
While different sites have a different bookmarking processes, most of them if not all require registration. You need to create a profile either by filling in a form or signing up through Facebook, Twitter or Google. Once you register:
- Sign into the bookmarking site
- Search for ‘submit link’ or any tab similar to it
- Provide the target URL plus any other required details (e.g. Tittle, Tags/Keywords, Description of what the link is all about etc.)
- Choose the right category (if need be)
- Submit the link.
3. Blog Commenting
I didn’t care about the intention of the blogger. I mean, the writer of the post didn’t expect spammy and irrelevant comments from people who only cared about backlinks. It is painful to write a unique blog and then get spammy comments like ‘what a wonderful post! ’great post, keep it up’ ‘I didn’t know about rocket science but now I do’ yada yada.
Sadly and regrettably that’s exactly what I did. It backfired in my face and my precious backlinks started to disappear. I later learnt that my comments were found worthless at best and deleted by moderators.
So, how should you go about blog commenting as a Backlinks Building Technique? Well, it is simple and still very effective. Here is how to do it right:
- Read the entire post
- Research the topic i.e. if your knowledge about the topic is limited
- Put yourself in the authors shoe and ask what type of comments and links you would publish
- Make sure you comment (s) add value to post. You may give a another angle to a point the blogger mentioned or provide an update to an outdated in formation on the blog
- Don’t leave more than 2 comments on the same blog on the same day. You will appear spammy.
Not all blogs give backlinks so you must search for dofollow high page rank blogs or else your blog commenting will not achieve its goal as one of the effective Backlinks Building Techniques. This doesn’t mean that all your blog comments should aim at getting backlinks; you will be too selfish a blogger.
At times, I comment on blogs without expecting any favor in return but end up getting valuable traffic and comments in return.
Onto creating a link, there are different blog comment forms depending on the comment system a blog uses. Most blogs use Disqus, Others use Google Comment System yet others use Facebook comment systems.
WordPress Comment System, Commentluv and its Intensedebate version for blogger platform are the best place to comment on. Commentluv enabled blogs will live a link to your latest post below every comment you make. It is super-fast way to create backlinks
What about the platforms that have no provision for websites and addresses? Can you still use blog commenting as a Backlinks Building Technique? Well, manually add your link in the comment as an anchor text. Always make sure that the link you are referring readers to is related to the post you are commenting on.
|Screenshot of a Commentluv Enabled Blog Comment Box|
Additional TipsHow to find relevant blogs
- Search Google, Bing, Yahoo or Yandex for “dofollow
blog” e.g. dofollow technology blog.
- Search for related topics and comment on the blog
- Use Blog Commenting Software to locate dofollow blogs.
- Try Google Search Operator to locate blogs with special comment plugins like Commentluv. For example you can type ‘Technologyintext:Commentluv’on Google
- Use Drop My LinkUse Drop My Link to find .edu and .gov blogs.
- Use Fast Blog Finder Software to find dofollow blogs.
4. Forum Signature Linking
General Forum Etiquettes
- Be active. Remember it is a forum so it makes no sense to join, start a thread and disappear into thin air. Always act on responses your thread generates as well as contributing on threads started by others too.
- Never add manual links on your posts unless it is a reference to your question. In fact never promote your blog in the posts and comments. It won’t take long before the moderators realize you are spamming the system and ban you
- Only post meaningful and relevant threads. It pays to read existing posts under the category you intend to post on so that your contribution doesn’t look weird.
- Never ask questions that your signature anchor text purport to address. For instance, don’t ask what the best Backlinks Building Techniques are when your signature says you are a ‘veteran SEO expert’. If that doesn’t seem illogical to you it will to other forum members!
- Don’t post more than 3 threads on a forum in away. Your efforts will look spammy. One relevant and detailed reply or thought provoking thread is enough for a day, if you asked me. That way you look natural and will earn the moderators’ trust to enable you post more threads in the future..
Finding the right forums
5. Submitting Articles To Directories
How to submit an article
- Register in a directory
- Write or pay someone to write a unique article on a topic you understand too well and one that is covered extensively on your site/blog. Serious article directories don’t accept rewrites or articles that are already published elsewhere
- Ensure the article is of recommended word length (usually from 400 up to 1200 depending on the directory)
- Optimize the article for keywords to improve its ranking on search results
- Coin a catchy title (Maximum of 70 characters or at most 8 words and written in Tittle Case)
- Come up with an enticing description of your article ( in 1 or 2 short paragraphs)
- Write a simple Author Bio and include a link to your site using an optimized anchor text
- Submit the article under the right category and provide any other detail they may require.
6. Using Competitor Back-Link Analysis
- Open Site Explorer
- Majestic SEO
- SEO Spy Glass
7. Creating Profile Backlinks
8. Writing Press Release
Why a press release?
- It will get you backlinks form news sites which improves your ranking for a given keyword
- Your site will be more visible on search engines
- Better Ranking for your site in Google News and Yahoo News etc
How To Write A Good Press Release
- A title optimized for the main keyword – Avoid unnecessary words on the title to give the keyword weight
- Keyword in the first sentence of the first paragraph (also known as the summary)
- A body with 200+ words, written in easy to understand language with the main keyword appearing once for every 100 words. Don’t forget to fully optimize the multimedia and images in the body
- Linked to a relevant page on your site/blog
- Has the main keyword as an anchor text